We are seeking a Senior Accountant for our revenue/cost accounting team who owns our general ledger, month end close, management reporting, and accounting processes and procedures for our varying businesses.
This role is based at our Hughes location in Gaithersburg, MD and will report to the Senior Manager of Revenue Assurance. The successful candidate must be a very strong accountant that also likes process improvement and systems. Accordingly, they need to be very well versed in general accounting and technical accounting, with the ability to develop and improve processes and procedures, and translate systems needs into actionable plans with minimal supervision. This position must be able to interact very well with other teams – Corporate Accounting, Technical and SEC Accounting, Shared Services, Internal Audit, Finance, Procurement, Manufacturing, Billing, Legal etc.– to ensure all accounting related activities to these functions are properly accounted for monthly, documented, effectively tied into our process models along with updates to any of our current compliance registers and SOX narratives.
The successful candidate will possess experience in complex, high performing companies of size and scope, with the ability to draw upon best-in-class policies, processes and procedures. We are looking for someone who has demonstrated excellent full cycle accounting and analytical skills and enjoys working in a challenging and fast paced environment. Last, they need to have excellent change management skills as well as superior writing, presentation and organizational skills.
They will own key areas our team is tasked with ensuring the accuracy of the financial statements. Key areas of focus include:
• General Ledger and Balance Sheet Accounting
• Trial Balance Accountability and Variance Explanations – Proving We Get To The Right Accounting Answer
• Monthly Close Process
• Journal Entry Creation and Postings
• Account Reconciliations
• Project and Cost Accounting
• Management Reporting
• Technical Accounting Support and Application
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting
• 5 years of related accounting experience including significant exposure to revenue recognition issues – predominately at large, multi-national public companies
• 2-3 years public accounting, Big Four a plus
• CPA – Active
• Prior experience working with large, global ERP systems (Oracle or SAP); Hyperion Financial Management and Hyperion Planning